Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Rhythm of the Night



The last week of May was dance recital time for Megan.
Her class did Tap to "Funkytown" and a Lyrical ballet to a song called "Home."
Can you guess which costume is which? ;)
A while back I was inspired by Lauren Meader's Ballerina Frame...

It was just soooo cute. I decided I wanted to do a frame for Megan's dance teacher.
(I showed Lauren's frame to my hubby and told him my plan and had no trouble convincing him I needed that stamp!)
Megan's class, however, had grown to 14 girls! My 12x12 paper couldn't fit that many in one continuous row. So to make them fit I had to split them into two rows of 7. I Joined the two rows with a block printed with the name of their dance (Home) and The recital theme (The Rhythm of the Night, 2008) Since there were no toe shoes involved, I felt the tittle fit a little more than the original sentiment did.
Like Lauren I used the ballet costume colors.
Since they were doing a lyrical and not a classical, they were to have their hair slicked into a low ponytail with their hair ornaments around the ponytail, no buns. So, I colored the loopy bit on top of their heads as if it were a hair ornament instead of a bun.
** Megan decided to donate her hair to Locks of Love last month, so she had to opt for a small ponytail on top to pull the hair away from her face. She was the only one with her ponytail and hair ornaments on top :) **
I water colored the ballerinas to represent each girl in the class.
My ballerinas and tittle were mounted on a shimmery pink patterned paper with the word Dance in silver and black all over it. Then I put them into a black 8x10 frame.
(The dance studios main walls are done in a sparkley grey paint, a muted teal, and black. )
I also used this stamp to make a little gift for each girl... I'll get that picture and post up soon. :)
Finally, I want to give credit where it is due and thank Lauren for being such a wonderful source of inspiration!

1 comment:

Lauren (mytime) said...

This is just stunning! Love all the ballerinas and while your frame is a beauty it pales in comparison to your real life ballerina! She looks so adorable in her costume! Hope you had fun making it.